More things I did last weekend
The title here is misleading. This is about a whole new weekend of activities, some of which are continuations of a prior weekend’s.
Not quite finished with the painting, but you can see where it’s going.
What you see are some of our chickens on the bottom level, the run, protected by steel mesh. This stuff is much more expensive than chicken wire, which one would assume would be the proper material for a chicken run. Chicken wire works great for keeping chickens in, but is crappy at keeping raccoons, foxes and such out.
The platforms comprise the Fort portion of this thing. Nothing fancy there, just a place to stand and look down on the world, just what my megalomaniac daughter needs. The lower platform is hinged and has a handle so the whole 4′ x 4′ section lifts to allow access to the run.
What you cannot see is the coop. It’s behind the green wall between the run and the upper platform. Coop access is from the right side here and that whole wall folds down. The chickens can get from the coop to the run via a ramp at the bottom right.
That rope ladder started life as a hundred feet of rope, fifty feet of garden hose some plastic stakes to attack the rope to the ground and some eye hooks to attach it to the fort. It took me about an hour to throw together and attach.
So that’s that.
We also got a new refrigerator on Saturday. The old refrigerator fit snuggly between the floor and the incredibly stupid cabinet attached to the wall above the refrigerator. I call it stupid, not because the wood had a low IQ, but who ever installed it must have. The cabinet was a foot back from the front of the refrigerator, so as soon as we put anything on top of the refrigerator, the cabinet became inaccessible. Not that it was terribly accessible to begin with. It’s 66 inches up and a foot back. No one could reach easily anyway.
Our new refrigerator is 68 inches tall. See the problem? Remember I said the 66-inch-tall fridge was snug.
I gleefully uninstalled the cabinets, spackled and painted the wall where it had been and put the cabinets on a wall in the nook, where they could be reached and used. Win-Win. And, as a bonus, it was a pure gain in storage space since not only does the new fridge also have a top suitable for storing children’s art projects, but it has more space since half of it is not being occupied by a stupid cabinet.
I also had a bit of adventure with powertools when the guy who came to install the ice maker on the new refrigerator complained our pipes weren’t the kind he’s allowed to work on. We live in an old house that’s seen many updates over the years. I’ve mentioned the lead pipes before and the galvanized steel pipes. We do have some copper pipes, which is the only thing modern plumbers will want to work with. However our copper pipes were too small, so he couldn’t do squat.
The most important thing I know about plumbing is to leave it to professionals, which I totally didn’t do.
They make these things called “self tapping” ice maker kits. Supposedly, simply by bolting them to the pipe, they can punch the hole into the copper providing the necessary water to the ice maker. I bought one of these kits. The self-tapping part is over-rated. It seems our copper pipes are stronger than the steel they make the punching pin of the kit.
So, being brave and resourceful, no sarcasm there, really, I drilled a hole in the copper piping of my home. Yes I turned the water off to that pipe first. No, I don’t have a horror story to tell. I know it’d be funnier if I had been doused with spraying, cold water, but it didn’t happen. I had one compression bolt leak a trickle, but that was fixed with a twist or two with a wrench.
I didn’t mention drilling a hole in our stone tile floor to run the copper tubing of the ice maker water line to our basement pipes. It was boring. I measured, I drilled, again everything worked fine.
I know this is a blog and I’m supposed to tell funny stories about how things can go wrong. Maybe I’m just a talented home-improvement god. At this point, people who know me just spat their drinks all over their keyboards to keep from choking to death as they burst in uncontrollable laughter. Perhaps, and this is the more likely scenario, I just don’t have high enough standards to notice when things go wrong.
There are several not terribly level parts of that cooprunfort, the paint does not have perfect lines at the seams. The rope ladder’s rungs are not precisely even in their spacing. The water line to the ice maker does not leak, however, and that’s the only standard that matters there.
And we finished the walls I mentioned the other week. They are nice, sturdy half-walls, as designed. The spackling job is less than perfect, and the paint isn’t hiding it as well as I’d hoped. But they do their job of keeping folks from falling down the steps and giving my cats a place to perch to look down on the world around them, feeding the megalomania that all cat’s innately possess.